Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chocolate

We both gave up chocolate for lent.  But since Sandy is not here, I need to only speak for myself on the subject. When we decided, it was a bit whimsical and I must say that my initial thoughts were more about trying to regulate my diet because I have a bit of a sweet tooth. It was only the next day after dinner that my decision hit me. What was I thinking! At night, for me there is a need for that sweet taste of melting chocolate after my meal.  It seems more like a reward for getting through another day. And by that "another day" I mean going through all of the motions and emotions from waking up, to somewhere between just before the kids take a bath or just after they are in bed.  The funniest is when I have sneaked a piece of something and they can smell it on my breath.   I don't need much on most days, just a taste.  It is an instant mood swing...for the better.
I bring this up tonight because it is the eve of Easter Sunday.   I had the job of putting the kids Easter baskets together. We do not give them much candy, but they have been on a few egg hunts this week and their quota of plastic eggs full of chocolate is through the roof!   I realized, as the smell of chocolate was overpowering that Sandy is in bed reading, the kids are in bed asleep; what a perfect opportunity to cheat!  I absolutely did not, and it was not the first time that I could have.  The fact that Sandy and I got in this together really helped curve my temptation.  Maybe because of competition, maybe because "misery loves company." I do know that I have come to terms with a few things about myself. I am honest to a fault on many occasions.  I will never give up chocolate again.

No comments:

Post a Comment